Friday, September 25, 2009

Routing the cavities..... DISASTER!!!! (almost)





Ok. Here is where inexperience can really suck. I certainly couldn't see this one coming.
The body template I was using is 1/4" thick. In order to rout the control cavity, I extended the router bit all the way out so that the flush trim bearing could ride on the template. This cause the bit to descend deep into the body.... and I commenced to rout. Then I heard the most awful crack you can imagine and the router was suddenly silenced.... It had kicked because of the amount of material I was trying to cut - and it basically burst out of control, eating a chunk out of the cavity in an area I was not planning to rout. The noise startled everyone in the workshop. All eyes on me. It looked ugly. I thought I was going to cry..... like a big sook.

Then I realized that the tele control plate will actually cover this eyesore..... In reality, I did have to do a minor repair to the bottom side, which actually looks great the pic isn't posted yet).

To solve the problem, I made another body template - this time using 1/2" MDF. I sandwiched the new one to the original 1'4" template (actually screwed them together).
This gave me the necessary height to be able to rout the cavities in multiple passes, extending the router with each pass....

Moral of this story? Always remove a little material at a time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment