Friday, September 25, 2009

The Body Blank....









I bought a beautiful body blank that consists of 3 pieces of light swamp ash, joined by slices of Cocobolo Rosewood.... Really is stunning. The blank should give me a body that weighs in between 3-4lbs. Like everyone, I love a lightweight tele.... and in this case it's especially important because the maple top is heavier than the equivalent thickness in ash...

I marked out the center line (which will be lined up with the bookmatched seam), spread the glue, placed the top down and clamped it tight. I also put in a few wood screws (outside of the body area!) to make sure it didn't move while clamping.

It's a good idea to find a piece of hard steel to clam down the middle of the blank - it is very difficult to clamp firmly in the middle of the piece...

The last picture is after it has come out of clamps (I left it in clamps for 72 hours).

No comments:

Post a Comment