Friday, September 25, 2009

The Flame Top....






I bought a BEAUTIFUL piece of AAAA flamed Canadian maple from www.veddermountainhardwoods.com
It really is stunning. I'm not a great fan of flamed maple that looks relly straight and symmetrical... so this one has a little 'curl' in it....

So the trick here is the thickness the pieces, then cut a smooth edge on the side they will be joined....

Easier said than done!!

Of course I decided to thickness the UNDERSIDE, just in case I ran into problems.... I discovered that machine planers don't like flamed maple AT ALL. They chop out horrible chunks of the flame. I didn't realize that the density & structure of the flame caused structural fluctuations.... This would have been better achieved on a power sander. But we get by with what we have!!

The same 'chatter' occurred when I tried to use the jointer for the surfaces that were to be joined..... just couldn't get a clean cut.

So off to the table saw I went.... really - with a sharp thin blade, the table saw can produce a beautifully flat clean cut. Relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment